PARAMEDIC (PART TIME)
Paramedic (Part Time)
Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario
(Unionized Role – Unifor Local 302 Canada)
Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario is a subsidiary of Medavie Health Services responsible for the optimal operation and management of Elgin-St.Thomas EMS, an integrated, pre-hospital care organization. People are the biggest drivers of our success, and we are excited to continue to build a healthier community together. As the land ambulance service provider for the County of Elgin, we’re looking for Part Time Paramedics who are committed to the delivery of innovative health care, safety and communications solutions through knowledgeable and caring professionals. Our belief is in a better life for the communities we serve.
Medavie Health Services is part of Medavie, a health services organization. Together with Medavie Blue Cross, we are committed to providing innovative solutions that will improve the health of all Canadians.
As a not-for-profit organization, Medavie is proud to commit an annual social dividend to the Medavie Health Foundation to support programs and initiatives aimed at addressing some of our Country’s most pressing physical and mental health coverage.
Located in St. Thomas, Ontario, and reporting to the Operations Manager/Supervisor, paramedics are responsible for responding to requests for paramedic service and delivering medical care to patients of accident/illness, ensuring safe transportation to receiving medical facilities, and assisting with the ongoing care of the patient within the facility as may be required. Also, participates in the ongoing maintenance of ambulance vehicles, equipment and stations, and other duties as may be assigned by the Operations Manager/Supervisor.
Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario is accepting qualified paramedics and current student applications.
For student applications, you must be currently enrolled and expected to complete your education in 2023. Should you be a registered student and pursuing credentials, a conditional job offer may be made, subject to meeting requirements below.
For qualified paramedics, you must meet all employment and qualification criteria as contained in Ontario Regulation 257/00- Part Ill. Additionally, you are able to perform the functional requirements of the job including performance in high stress and inherently unpredictable situations. You will also be able to perform, bending, crouching, lifting, and walking on uneven ground on a regular basis. Personal Transportation is required for reporting to stations. Additional requirements are:
- Graduate of an approved College Paramedic Program accredited by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities;
- Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (A-EMCA) Certificate or Paramedic Program Graduate scheduled to write the A-EMCA examination (at the earliest opportunity in 2023);
- Valid Ontario Class “F” Driver’s Licence or Equivalent recognized by the Ministry of Transportation;
- Certification in CPR at the Health Care Provider (HCP) level;
- Successful completion of a physical agility examination, OPPAT, Ability Works, Sibley (current within 6 months of the posting date);
- Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Search (valid within 90 days prior to the posting date);
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario Driver’s Abstract (valid within 60 days prior to the posting date);
- Compliance with current communicable disease standards as mandated by the Ministry of Health;
- Successful completion of South Western Ontario Base Hospital Program certification;
- Autonomous PCP IV Therapy certification is preferred, or successful completion of the South Western Ontario Base Hospital Program PCP Autonomous IV Therapy course (at the earliest opportunity);
- Successful completion of Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario orientation program;
- Comply with laws, regulations, orders, policies and procedures as issued by applicable Ministries, Regulatory Bodies, Medavie Health Services, and Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario.
This position requires various shift work including days, nights, weekends, and holidays at all stations throughout Elgin County. Part time staff members are expected to provide availability which meets the current collective agreement, which includes: 32 days, 13 of which shall be weekends per quarter. Availability shall be distributed throughout the quarter. Shifts may be scheduled to a maximum of 84 hours biweekly. Hours are not guaranteed as a part-time employee.
Wages, vacation, and in lieu of benefits are in accordance with the most current collective agreement between Medavie EMS Elgin Ontario and Unifor Local 302 Canada.
If you are interested in working with a dynamic team of professionals and possess the necessary qualifications, please send your resume, cover letter, and completed application package with associated supporting documents to HR.ELGIN@MEMSEO.COM, with the subject attention Hiring Committee. Please save your file with your first and last name.
Competition closes February 9, 2023 at 1600 Hours (04:00 PM).
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted. At Medavie, everything we do is to improve the wellbeing of Canadians.
Medavie Health Services is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance, as an appendix to the application package.
Information gathered relative to this position is done in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for candidate selection. While all responses are appreciated, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.